WCX commenced broadcasting on the 4th May 1922.
The station was owned by The Detroit Free Press and operated from the ninth floor of the Free Press building before relocating to the top floor of the Book Cadillac Hotel after been bought into by the Jewett Radio and Phonographic Company on the 16th August 1925 (with a combined WCX/WJR callsign).
With an increase from 517 watts to 5 000 watts it became the second station in the U.S. to run "high power" after WLW in Cincinnati.
The WCX QSL card was received on the 4th January 1926 in response to a report of reception which most likely occurred towards the end of 1925. WCX operated on a frequency of 580 khz at the time.
The WCX callsign was eventually dropped and the station became WJR on the 20th December 1926 with a move to 680 kHz.