WTAM began broadcasting on September 26, 1923.
The station was originally owned by S.E. Lawrence and Theodore Willard, in the name of the Willard Storage Battery Company and originally operated on 750 kilocycles with 1500 watts.
In 1925 the station's power was increased to 2500 watts, followed by an increase to 3500 watts in 1926 when the studios moved to the Union Trust Building at East 9th Street and Euclid Avenue with a frequency change to 770 kilocycles.
The above QSL letter verified reception in Syracuse, New York on January 6th 1926.