In July 1921, radio manufacturer Powel Crosley Jr. began 20 watt test transmissions from his home at College Hill, broadcasting "Song of India" continuously under the callsign 8CR.
The fox trot version above with the appropriate title "Play that 'Song Of India' Again", had just been recorded on May 31st, 1921 by Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra, one of the most popular dance bands in the U.S. at the time (An indication that the identical version could have been used for the 8CR tests while simultaneously and unintentionally promoting the new version of the tune over the air for the first time ? G.D.)
On March 22nd, 1922, the Crosley Broadcasting Corporation commenced broadcasting as WLW, assigned to the common freqency of 833 kHz with an output of 50 watts. The power was increased to 500 watts in September 1922, 1000 watts in May 1924, and in January 1925 WLW was the first station to transmit with a power of 5000 watts.
The QSL card was received on the 19th December 1925 for the reception in Syracuse, New York.
On October 4, 1928, WLW became the first station to increase power to 50 kilowatts.WLW's 500 Kilowatt Transmitter
In January 1934 WLW began broadcasting with 500 kilowatts late at night under the experimental callsign W8XO. In April 1934 the station was authorized to operate at 500 kilowatts during regular hours with the WLW call letters.